Wednesday, March 29, 2006

For Bird #1


I am fortunate to live in a rural area, with a river close by. This gives one an opportunity to enjoy nature and also see many unique critters. And while I have had my run in with the rodents, most critters tend to themselves and that's fine by Norm. Canadian geese seem to be returning in greater numbers this year. The honking call of this water fowl usually represents the beginning of spring or fall.(Coming or going.) And when their hatchlings appear, even the hardened heart of this old coot melts!

Here we see several standing on what's left of a funky winter ice. Several are trying to keep warm, while the rebel is taking an icy swim. (Actually they were all swimming the moment before the shot, but work with me here!!) I'll try and post shots of the offspring when they appear.

10 Comments:

Blogger joy said...

Gorgeous when are we invited?

7:54 PM  
Blogger LA said...

Fantastic photo, norm. Crystal clear, great light and shadow.

What about the house? We're dying to see floor and wall!

9:29 PM  
Blogger M-M-M-Mishy said...

Cool picture! Looks like you are in a very kickass location.

I'm Canadian, so I think I am genetically programmed to like Canadian geese. And they are cool looking birds from far away, but really, if you get a whole ton of them in a large urban area (ie Toronto) it becomes a gross, smelly mess. Summertime in the city can be brutal.

Still, the picture is really beautiful, and I do like the birds... just in moderation. :)

6:00 PM  
Blogger GetFlix said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

8:28 PM  
Blogger bird said...

Awww thans Flix..."you old coot"...lol! (That expression always makes me laugh)

It is absolutely gorgeous where you live..lucky Norm!

Can't wait for the pictures of the babies.

4:20 PM  
Blogger bird said...

*thanks* I meant!

:)

6:29 PM  
Blogger PixieGaf said...

Gorgeous! You are so lucky to be surronded by such great beauty.

7:29 PM  
Blogger Leo Tolstoy said...

Flix, you are so lucky....I hope it stays rural for you forever!...Sadly, it seems rural areas and spaces are becoming few and far between anymore.....I love that space remains for the creatures to live in it!....Ooops, should I be talking to Norm??....Yikes, sorry FlixNorm....Teehehehe! :)

8:32 PM  
Blogger norm said...

Joy, anytime.

Ffleur, there might be baby ducks this year, too.

LA, thanks.

Mish, it gets smelly down the street on a neighbors lawn. They like his yard for some reason. Maybe he feeds them.

Bird, if you can put up with the freezing winters, it's great!

Pix, it can be sweet. Although big cities are fun, too.

Jane, there are battles being fought as we speak over open space in my town.

8:51 PM  
Blogger Leo Tolstoy said...

Fight the good fight Norm! :)

11:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home