Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Winter Perspective #2


So Norm hosted Christmas for the family this year. And it went well. When one has almost 20 people in your home, it can be a bit stressful. But Norm found the entire event rather enjoyable. It was the weeks leading up to the holiday that Norm found rather unenjoyable. Norm had to get the house cleaned and crowd friendly.

So they all arrived, and Norm managed to direct all the larger vehicles into the driveway. Norm had to chuckle at the irony. Here it's only his home that has the space for everyone, but everyone has these huge expensive vehicles. No wonder they can't move into a bigger house. They're driving their upgrade.

Norm mentions all of this only because of the ridiculous concept of trading your car in every three years for a new model. Norm has a tough time standing around listening about the next new vehicle his relatives are going to buy, when his ride was new about the time Duran Duran had their first hit. But hey, what can Norm say. They're family, and they can afford it.

The highlight came as everybody was preparing to leave. Depart the wilderness and drive back into consumerland. The irony was Norm had been trying to tell some of the adults about the various creatures he had seen recently. Everyone seemed to want to match Norm's story with a consumerland tale. Norm was getting frustrated, as he tried to convince everybody that the animals actually live here. (As opposed to sightings that involve animals forced to move due to home building.)

So imagine the wonderful moment when 20+ turkeys walked past the house down towards the water. Those leaving to go home wanted to see more of these birds, so Norm grabbed his camera and once outside we caught the birds crossing the water. There were still a couple of dry comments about how they're everywhere, and it's very common to see them. But Norm still thinks it was a special moment for everyone.

4 Comments:

Blogger LA said...

Turkeys for the turkeys? (no offense intended)

And as the driver of an 11-year-old car in Los Angeles, I can totally appreciate where you are coming from. Someone asked me recently when I was getting a new car. They seemed surprised when I said, "I'm not." The 3-year-swap mentality exists here, too. I was actually offended this person assumed that because my car was old, I was ready to trade it in. I drive about 300 miles a month and it's paid for... I'm keeping it as long as possible.

11:36 AM  
Blogger Diane said...

I'm with you guys - my car is 6 years old and has been paid off for some time. And this is my 4th car in 31 years . . . I will say though that I am tempted to get a hybrid, but we'll see.

BTW - many years ago, I had a guy - who sold shoes in Beverly Hills, and rented an overpriced apartment ask me - "I don't get it, you own your own home, you travel and dress well, what's the deal with your Toyota Corolla?"

Any time someone comments about my travel I want to say, and sometimes do, that my trips generally cost less than a few months of their car payments . . .

9:30 PM  
Blogger norm said...

Norm could not agree more with both comments.

8:39 PM  
Blogger kookla100 said...

The running joke at work is if anyone pisses you off, stand them behind my car and let me start it up. It's 11 years old and it's in great condition, but I didn't realize for the entire time that I owned it I was starting it up wrong. Back when I learned to drive, you stepped on the gas and turned the key at the same time. Apparently, there's a pumping and gentle ignition action that doesn't kick up smoke or make a loud roar.

Anyway, I'm driving it until it doesn't go in reverse, like my last car.

3:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home