Monday, October 29, 2007

Chaos #1


Norm realizes that one's home is never really finished. That's the absolute reality of owning something. It's never finished. And Norm recommends anybody considering the role of homeowner, embrace this fact.. It's work, and if you accept it, and not fight it, you might just be able to keep up with the chores. Here is a picture of Norm's apple tree, which happily drops it's fruit onto Norm's lawn. Sure it's pretty, but each year Norm has to spend a couple of hours hauling the stuff away. And there is no way to simply ignore the mess. But recently Norm has come to accept this as a really cheap workout. No gym membership required.

(Note: Chaos is Norm's new posting series which will take a more analytical view of property ownership, the constant path of repair every homeowner will travel, and the rewards this journey may bring.)

9 Comments:

Blogger LA said...

I LOLed at the word "Chaos" as a new series. Great title!

Your point about home ownership is well-taken, and I'm still renting. Some day.

11:10 PM  
Blogger Prunella Jones said...

Are the apples tasty? That would make a heck of a lot of applesauce.

4:06 PM  
Blogger prettykitty said...

holy crap. that's a whole heck of a lot of apples. i'm surprised the critters don't gladly haul those away for you!

4:18 AM  
Blogger kookla@work said...

Oh boy, Norm! Do I know about chaos and home's never being finished. Finally completed the Pergo throughout the house, got a new tub door installed in the main bathroom, and had someone come in and install the baseboards in the rooms. Now I am refinishing the bathroom vanity, laying down tile in the bathroom and kitchen and on and on. I'm just relieved I don't have an apple tree...

I look forward to your Chaos posts in the future!!

6:17 PM  
Blogger norm said...

LA, it really felt like a big step when Norm became Norm. (But renting really sucks.)

Pru, the tree isn't treated, so the apples are usually sampled by bugs while still on the vine. (Norm is no gentleman farmer.)

PK, they sample the goods, but leave them on the ground. (It makes a mess Norm does not appreciate.)

Kook, it sounds like you have some very nice improvements!! That's the stuff Norm loves to do!!

7:00 PM  
Blogger D.O.M. Dan said...

I have multiple home improvement projects in various stages of incompleteness. And although I don't have apples, I still have last season's grapefruit on the tree weathering away while this season's crop is not yet ready for picking. Home ownership is no rest break.

5:00 PM  
Blogger Diane said...

Norm - I'm with ya 100 percent . . . I am slowly replacing every aspect of my 1949 beach house once board, tile, nail etc at a time

7:12 PM  
Blogger LA said...

It does suck, Norm, but I take solace in the fact that I only pay $100/mo more than I did when I first moved in, 14 years ago. My rent is WAY under market value, and I've got a killer place at the beach. It makes the whole renting experience much more palatable.

10:28 PM  
Blogger norm said...

Norm agrees. No rest break for any of us, Dan.

Diane, it's funny how true that is!! Norm just keeps fixing and replacing things. This past year has been crazy!!

LA, that's a sweetheart deal!! Norm would recommend you keep renting!!

8:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home