Thursday, April 27, 2006

Cool Tek #2


Norm is back with the ever popular product review post. These screw-in fluorescent bulbs have recently become quite affordable and the technology is amazing. Although the light temperature is not quite as warm as your standard incandescent bulbs, they're much warmer than your standard fluorescent. They take about one second to come on, so there is a slight delay. But the energy savings is amazing. A 40W output requires only 10W of energy. A 60W output requires only 13W of energy. And a 100W output requires only 23W of energy.

These bulbs work really well with fixtures that require multiple bulbs. And with fixtures that have covers. (It offsets the effects of the light on your eyes.) I found by carefully mixing about 18 bulbs throughout my home I shaved about 550W of energy off my grid. The bulbs last for 5 years.

8 Comments:

Blogger LA said...

OMG, Norm, are you an engineer? My head is swimming with all those numbers!

Do you know if those light bulbs come in true color? I need a lot of true color task lighting.

5:49 PM  
Blogger GetFlix said...

He's no engineer, LA.

8:14 PM  
Blogger joy said...

I've resisted fluorescent bulbs for0ever, because they hurt my eyes, and give off this yellowish depressing light, but I am sick SICK!!! Of buying light bulbs.

So this weekend I will look to see if they come in "real light" options.

7:42 AM  
Blogger LA said...

thanks, joy!

9:20 AM  
Blogger v said...

Fluorescent bulbs are great energy savers and work great with a cover. Stellar post Norm!

1:00 PM  
Blogger norm said...

Norm says the technology is there, you just have to make it work for you. Norm suggests you buy one or two, and try them out in different places in your home.

10:09 PM  
Blogger Leo Tolstoy said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

9:42 PM  
Blogger Leo Tolstoy said...

I have bought these bulbs Norm, they are FAB! :)

9:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home